Please note all paddlesport is an ‘assumed-risk’ activity. You are responsible for your own actions, the following guidance has been provided to give you the most enjoyable and safe experience possible.
Stand up paddleboards – Top Tips!
Before you go:-
- Listen to our staff, ask questions if there is anything you are unsure of. If it’s your first time out, or you have special needs or concerns – let us know, we can usually spend a bit longer with you and give you more pointers.
- Bring footwear – old trainers that you can get wet, or wet shoes / boots. There is always the risk of standing on broken glass.
- Be aware that modern electronic devices do not mix well with water. A phone is a useful safety tool, but it is also vulnerable to water damage. Please take steps to ensure your devices are safe.
- Put our number on speed dial (017687 73082) IF you choose to take a phone on the water. In certain weather conditions our dynamic risk assessment may require you to take a charged phone if you wish to avoid cancellation of the session (in winter or moderately bad weather conditions)
- If any of the participants are under 16, they must be accompanied by an adult over 18. (in the same group not necessarily in the same boat)
- If you have children with you, and you are not sure how they will cope, please ask for a tow rope.
- Keep your buoyancy aid or life jacket on and fully fastened. If you take them off on an island, it Is critical they are put back on and fastened properly before setting off again.
Start on your knees.
- Your center of gravity is lower and it’s much easier to balance.
- Practise your paddling technique kneeling down.
When you feel confident, stand up
- Plunge your paddle into the water, well forward to optimize your stroke.
- Bend your body slightly forward and stretch your arms out for leverage.
- The top arm pushes, while the lower arm pulls!
- When the paddle reaches the level of your feet, stop the movement and do it over again
Stay near Nichol End while getting used to your board and gaining confidence. Once you’re confident, you can explore further afield.
Once you’re on the water and feeling a bit more confident:-
- Stay on the lake – do not go up or down any rivers. We are not licensed for boards to be removed from Derwentwater and it’s hard to rescue you from the river.
- If it’s windy and you are struggling to make headway then tuck yourself in near the shore and paddle along the sides – there is usually less wind there.
- When you fall in try to fall to the side. Keep hold of your paddle or it may float away.
- Landing in cold water can come as a shock. If you fall in, take a minute to compose yourself.
- To get back up on the SUP – position yourself in the middle of the board, place your paddle on it and climb onto it. Then place the paddle perpendicular to the board and get up.
- .If you are overweight, less fit or otherwise concerned ask a member of staff before you go out on the lake and we can advise you of the best techniques.
- Let us know if you are going to be late out or back.
- If hiring as part of a group, stay with that group.
- Stay out of the way of the Keswick Launch ferries. (they have a timetable to stick to, are big and need to stick to deeper water and channels and can make a big wash which may be difficult to manage as a fledgling paddler). They are easy to spot and are usually predictable.
- Stay clear of wildlife on the lake especially young or nesting birds.
- Alcohol does not mix with paddle sports. Do not drink and paddle or drink and swim.
After your session:-
- return your boards to the part of the beach you collected them from.
- Take your rubbish home or put it in one of our bins.
- Let us know your back at the hire desk and hang your wetsuits and buoyancy aids up on the used kit rail.
- Let us know about any problems.
- Send us your photos on Facebook / Instagram / by email and we will add them to the 2021 gallery.
Remember all board hire is subject to our hire agreement. You will be asked to agree to this during the booking process.
Nichol End Marine. Portinscale, Keswick, Cumbria. CA12 5TY.
Tel. 017687 73082. Info@nicholend.co.uk.
Registered address: Nichol End Marine Limited, 2nd Floor, 121 Duke Street, Barrow in Furness, Cumbria. LA14 1AX
Registered in England & Wales. Company no:8395361. VAT registration: 157 5268 84